The only possible reasons for not beginning impeachment proceedings are “the Senate won’t convict” and worries about swing voters in the 2020 election. Neither is reason enough for the US House of Representatives to ignore your sworn duty to “support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic…”
The Republican Senate is enabling an illegal President and unless they feel Pence can win in 2020, they will not convict and probably would postpone, deflect and basically ignore an impeachment call for a Senate trial. So what?
Impeachment is not just about the end game. It is the people’s right to hear testimony and dig into the facts. Facts that may still be suppressed. It is your duty to prosecute this case and let the American people make their own conclusions.
As for the 2020 election and the fear of dividing the country and losing the Trump supporters, we are already well divided by Russian supported Republican politicking. That 30 or 40 percent are already lost but the remaining 60% of critically thinking Americans need to be pushed to the polls.
That is our longstanding problem of voter apathy. But Republicans have shown time and time again that policy, wonkism, can always be beaten with negative, even childish attacks on sensibility. An impeachment trial is the Democrats great opportunity to take the negative high ground and use it for the good of the country.
Use this opportunity to for once turn Democrats on the offence. Draw out the impeachment into summer or fall 2020. Hold hearing after hearing and investigations galore that keep the other side on defense throughout the coming year. Stay on offence by attacking without mercy. Use their tactics against them to win not just the White House but The Senate as well.